1948 Porsche 356
Year of manufacture – 1948
Engine – 4-Zyl.Boxer
Engine capacity – 1,131 cc
Horsepower – 40 hp ( kW)
Full speed – km/h
The whole firm «PORSCHE KONSTRUKTIONEN GES.M.B.H» was situated here in Gmünd from 1944 till 1950. The first car named Porsche was built here. During the period from 1948 till 1950 there were handmade altogether 43 Coupe and 8 Cabrio Typ 356. The chassis were assembled out of Volkswagen spare parts.
This car is entirely original and complete. The original type forms are available too.
The price in 1948 is 69, 000 dollars.
Porsche 356 is the first auto of the celebrated German firm Porsche. Quick and responsive two-door Porsche 356 was a rear-driven, rear-engine sports car, made in two configurations — with a hardtop or retractable top. Innovative developments continued for years, contributing to the successes in the motor racing and the popularity growth of the trade mark. The manufacturing began in 1948 in the town of Gmund, Austria, where there were produced about 50 cars. In 1950 the plant was re-located to Stuttgart, Germany; the main production of model 356 continued till April 1965, when its place was occupied by model 911, represented in autumn 1963. At a rough estimate about a half of the manufactured 76, 000 cars Porsche 356 still remain till now.
In 1955 model Porsche 356A was introduced with a small amount of improvements. Due to its factory designation (Type 1), fans of the trade mark made up its nickname Т1. At the beginning of 1957 a new sample of model appeared, known as Type 2 (T2). At the end of 1959 Porsche 356B or T5 appeared after significant alterations and technique improvements.
Model 356B with a body Type 6 appeared in the middle of 1962: a double radiator cap, an outside fuel tank cap on the right front wing and larger windows.
The last sample of the model line 356 became Porsche 356C of 1964 manufacture year. It distinguished itself with disc brakes in addition to the most powerful engine ever produced by the company Porsche — 95 horse power.