1922 Chevrolet 490
Owner: Donacio Sr. Manuel Ramos (Barcelona)
Engine - gasoline, inline 4-cylinder
Volume - 171 cubic inches
Power 21.7 hp
Transmission - 3-speed manual
Wheelbase - 1020 mm
Weight - 1750 kg
Load capacity - 1000 pounds
The first Chevrolet truck was the Model 490 Light Delivery. The half-ton rated 490 Light Delivery was a chassis cowl only based on the 490 auto. A chassis cowl included the chassis with engine, transmission and the front sheet metal which comprised the hood, front fenders, grille and headlights. Its instrument panel, steering wheel, foot pedals and shift lever were exactly the same as the cars.
The customer was expected to provide his own cab and body. Cabs and bodies in those days were constructed of wood. Often times the buyer would build his own body, usually without a cab, but most truck buyers purchased bodies and cabs from an outside independent body company.
The 490 was powered by a four cylinder overhead valve engine displacing 171 cubic inches. This engine which developed 21.7 SAE horsepower lasted through the 1928 model year. The 490's wheelbase was only 102 inches and it was rated for a maximum payload of 1,000 pounds. Its transmission was the same three-speed as used in the auto. Chevrolet was not bashful in advertising its selective gear shift transmission against Ford's foot pedal operated transmission. The windshield was an extra cost item. The 490 were equipped with 30x3 1/2 balloon tires front and rear. Its list price was $595.
Chevrolet's other new truck in 1918 was the Model T one-ton chassis cowl. It was a modified Model FA passenger car chassis, but it was beefed up a bit for commercial service. Its OHV four-cylinder engine displaced 224 cubic-inches and produced 21.7 net horsepower. It rode on a 125 inch wheelbase. Its list price was $1125. The one-ton featured a worm drive rear end, a half floating rear axle, 31x4 front balloon tires and 32x4 solid rubber rears, eight leaf front springs and 12 leaf rear springs and was rated for a maximum GVW of 2000 pounds.
The 490 Light Delivery and one-ton Model T remained in production through the 1922 model year. A 3/4 ton chassis cowl Model G was added in 1921 but it only lasted through 1922. The Light Delivery chassis and the one-ton trucks were renamed the Superior Series in 1922 (the same as Chevrolet Cars), this name lasted through the 1927 model year. The Series name was changed to Capitol for both trucks in 1927 which lasted through 1928 - the last year for the four cylinder era. It is interesting to note that for the one-ton model only a cab, stake body and panel body became available in 1927 only. Truck buyers could and did purchase and install aftermarket pickup bodies during this time. The cab returned for 1928 but the bodies didn't. No factory built pickups were built between 1918 and 1928, Chevrolet provided only the chassis and cowl.