The GAZ-67 was a further development of the earlier GAZ-64. A main improvement was a wider track of 1446 mm. It also had a strengthened chassis frame, enlarged fuel tank and other improvements.
It was powered by a slightly more powerful 54 hp (40 kW) version of GAZ M1 4-cylinder 3280 cc gasoline motor, and had a top speed of 90 km/h (56 mph). Production started on 23 September 1943 (the first serial vehicle produced). From January 1944 it was replaced by the GAZ-67B, which had some mechanical improvements.