1928 Chrysler Imperial
Production : 1926–1930
Body style : 2-door roadster, 2-door coupe, 4-door sedan and phaeton,Limousine
Layout : FR layout
Engine : 288.6 cu in (4.7 L) (1926–1927), 309.3 cu in (5.1 L) (1928–1930), L-head 92 hp(1926–1927) 100 hp(1928), 110 hp(1929–1930)I6
Transmission : 3-speed manual, 4-speed manual
Wheelbase : 120 in (3,048 mm) , 136 in (3,454 mm), 127 in (3,226 mm) , 133 in (3,378 mm)
Length : 183.5"(1926–1927)
The Chrysler Imperial, introduced in 1926, was the company's top of the range vehicle for much of its history. Models were produced with the Chrysler name until 1954, and again from 1990 to 1993. The company tried to position the cars as a prestige marque that would rival Cadillac and Lincoln.
Chrysler offered a variety of body styles: a two/four-passenger roadster(four passenger if car had the rumble seat), a four-seat coupé, five-passenger sedan and phaeton, and a seven-passenger top-of-the-line limousine. The limo had a glass partition.
The Imperial's new engine was slightly larger than the company's standard straight 6. It was a 288.6 cu in (4.7 L) six-cylinder with seven bearing blocks and pressure lubrication of 92 brake horsepower (69 kW). Springs were semi-elliptic in the front. The car set a transcontinental speed record in the year it was introduced, driving more than 6,500 miles (10,460 km) in the week. The car was chosen as the pace car for the 1926 Indianapolis 500. The model was designated E-80, the 80 being after the "guaranteed" 80 miles per hour (129 km/h) all-day cruising speed. Acceleration was also brisk breaking 20 seconds to 60 miles per hour (97 km/h). Four-speed transmission was added in 1930.